Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Understanding Feminism

By Mandi Samara


I have had, and still have, many chats about feminism. Back in the day BEFORE I grabbed a self esteem, and decided as a woman, no man has a right to jerk me around, I thought feminism was stupid. I didn't understand it, and like many others, I figured it was about women trying to get the upperhand; man bashing, and becoming above equal. When I DID stand up for myself, and was called a feminist, I'd quickly retaliate.. "I'm NOT a feminist!!" 

Wrong!! 

I AM a feminist, and damn proud of it too! Now I'm told it would be more appropriate, and less offensive, to claim that I'm an 'advocate for gender equality'. Well, yeah.. that too.. but what's so wrong with the word 'feminist'? Is it MY problem that many choose to remain ignorant, and come to conclusions on what feminism is about? I decided to look it up, and research this a bit. After all, I know how I FEEL about gender equality and feminism, I know what I stand up for, but maybe there IS some negative about being a self-proclaimed feminist? 

Here's some of what I found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism

"Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] In addition, feminism seeks to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist is a "person whose beliefs and behavior are based on feminism."[3]"

Well, Okay.. I don't see anything wrong there. I totally agree with that. But there's more!

"Feminist activists campaign for women's rights – such as in contract law, property, and voting – while also promoting bodily integrity, autonomy and reproductive rights for women. Feminist campaigns have changed societies, particularly in the West, by achieving women's suffrage, gender neutrality in English, equal pay for women, reproductive rights for women (including access to contraceptives andabortion), and the right to enter into contracts and own property.[7][8] Feminists have worked to protect women and girls from domestic violence, sexual harassment, and sexual assault.[9][10][11] They have also advocated for workplace rights, including maternity leave, and against forms of discrimination against women.[7][8][12] Feminism is mainly focused on women's issues, but because feminism seeks gender equality, some feminists argue that men's liberation is a necessary part of feminism, and that men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles."

Woah!! Stop! Rewind.. kay what? - "but because feminism seeks gender equality, some feminists argue that men's liberation is a necessary part of feminism, and that men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles."

If THAT is what you call man-bashing.. I think you're just a tad bit confused. 

Now, I totally agree with that. A lot of men probably wouldn't feel threatened by their spouses success if he wasn't raised to believe that he MUST be the bread winner, in order to a real man. Some men probaby wouldn't feel the need to brag about the women he's slept with, and men would most likely be more loving in relationships, if he wasn't called down for respecting women. (Pussy whipped, Pansy, Metro, Gay, Mangina, ect) Men DO have pressures by society to behave a certain way, and to appear a certain way. I'm pretty fed up with the whole, "Men don't cry!" attitude. Yes, yes they do. Everyone has emotions, and expressing your feelings is natural and healthy. It's no wonder a lot of men seem so angry. 

At the same time though, it's all a matter of choice. No one HAS to give in to societies pressures, and what we're taught as children is a guide for our lives when we enter the adult world; a guide to survive. We don't HAVE to follow those rules once we leave home. It's fear, and insecurity that keeps us ignorant. A man can easily choose to be good to his wife, to respect women, and be a decent man. The way I see it, those people on the outside looking in don't know you. You don't NEED their praise. If you're secure with yourself, the only person you need love and praise from, is yourself. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who has to live with the consequences, and YOU are the one who has to live your life. 

BUT, that's just my opinion from a feminist's point of view. I have many opinions, and I'm proud of it!



No comments: